Saturday, February 4, 2012

Little did I know...




Up until now, I've posted mainly about travel related topics or things we've done in Fresno or something new I've tried (like my unfinished 30 x 30 list!), but these past five weeks have taken me on a different kind of journey, a destination I've never seen the likes of nor could have fully imagined without having traveled it on my own. This journey began in the wee hours of the morning on December 30 when I first gazed at the sweet face of my son.

Parenthood: there is nothing in the world like it. It is a mixture of amazing and amazingly difficult. As much as I felt prepared through classes, reading parenting books and listening to countless stories from friends who already walked this same road, little did I know....

...that I could stare at his beautiful face for hours on end and kiss his soft cheeks a million times each day. I see him all the time and yet I seem to find something new and wonderful about him every time I look at him. His facial expressions crack us up and give endless amounts of amusement.

...that all those parents who told us to get as much sleep as we could before the baby came really knew what they were talking about! For the first few weeks I felt like we were surviving off of short cat naps in between feedings. It was exhausting. Now Wes is sleeping for about five hours between his night time feedings, which means I am getting a glorious four hours of uninterrupted sleep!

...how much my heart would break listening to his cries. That helpless newborn cry is so sad.

...how hard it would be to get out of the house with an infant. No joke, these little humans come with an insane amount of “stuff”. It’s a logistical challenge timing our outings between feedings in order to utilize that window of time where baby is content or sleeping. Not to mention the last minute diaper changes right when you’re about to head out the door!

...that witnessing my husband be a daddy would cause me to fall even more in love with him. I knew he had a tender heart before, but as I watch him love our boy and selflessly care for me during these postpartum days, I am beyond thankful.

...how unsure and worried I could feel about everything. My prayer life has grown exponentially as I learn to navigate the unpredictable waters of caring for a newborn.

...the joy a little babe would bring to so many people. It’s amazing how this little one, whose only job is to pooh, pee, eat and sleep, can cause the heart to soar.


Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see you carving out a bit of precious time to write about the big changes in your life Kristin! Little Wes is truly a miracle and will forever gift you and Jeremy countless new emotions and experiences. Enjoy and treasure every one of them! Love, Mom.

Post a Comment