Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Crepe Heaven


When I was young, my mom would occasionally make crepes for dessert. We ate them with vanilla ice cream and homemade chocolate sauce. Yum. Although my mom's crepes were delicious, I never truly knew the ecstasy of a "real" French crepe until I visited Paris in 2002. I remember the first time I sank my teeth into that warm thin crepe filled with the creamy hazelnut and chocolatey goodness of Nutella and sweet slices of banana. My girlfriends and I just came from seeing the Basilique du Sacre Coeur in Montmartre and ordered our crepes from a nearby street vendor. As we stood on a stone staircase with views of the city stretching below us, I savored every bite, thoroughly enjoying my first French crepe and that pristine Paris moment.

Paris ~ April 2002

Last Saturday I had a hankering for crepes. We packed up the baby and headed to Le Parisien, a french bakery located in the Park Place shopping center at Palm and Nees. The bakery, owned and operated by two couples from Paris, serves up a wonderful selection of sandwiches on crusty baguettes or buttery croissants, sweet and savory crepes, soups, French pastries, and coffee drinks. Although I do love their Dodu sandwich on a fresh croissant, I was craving something a little sweeter on the menu: the Nutella banana crepe. It was perfection. The bakery itself has many "American" influences with the Pepsi machine behind the counter and a local radio station playing in the background. But for some reason, perhaps it is knowing that the bakery is owner by Parisians or overhearing a conversation in French at a nearby table, Le Parisien causes me to reminisce about my fond travel memories and dream of new destinations. And, more importantly, it satisfies my craving for Nutella banana crepes!

Me and the babe :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment