Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy 8th Anniversary, Europe Trip!

Today my thoughts are on Europe. Memories drift slowly through my mind’s eye as I recall the journey that began as two friends and I boarded our plane on April 10, 2002. Hazy moments mingle with bright images of a two-month backpacking trip that covered six amazing European countries.

Jen & Jenai on the ferry coming in to Greece

I rarely think of my time spent along the sun-soaked Mediterranean. Young and fresh-faced, we had moments of blissful ignorance and were wonderfully carefree. One particular photograph encapsulates the easy, relaxed period of life we were in. Beyond what is captured in the photograph itself, I vividly recall the sense of utter contentment and peacefulness I felt in that moment. Three girls, sitting on the sea wall in Sorrento, Italy, Nutella and crackers in hand, chatting and laughing as we watched the setting sun throw its glorious pink and orange rays across the calm water lapping at the rocks below. And in the picture, our faces held perfect smiles. Happy. Innocent. Eager for life.

2 comments:

Μαργαρίτα said...

Nice family moments!!

As I will also be visiting Greece in a few months, and would also like to go over to Italy I am looking for ways to do that.

I guess a ferry is the best option right?

I have stumbled upon a website www.goferry.gr who offer e-tickets and compares prices online!

Where did u purchase your tickets from?

Kristin Berquist said...

How exciting for you! I would LOVE to go back to both Greece and Italy.

Since it's been eight years, I don't remember specifically where we purchased our tickets. I believe we got them at the ferry dock. We took an overnight ferry from Brindisi, Italy and arrived in Igoumenitsa, Greece (which is about 8 hours northwest of Athens). On our way back to Italy, we took a longer ferry from Athens to Venice.

Good luck with your travels and have fun!

Post a Comment